Who is the course aimed at?
This qualification is intended for delegates actively involved in the electrical contracting industry and allied trades who have responsibility for the design, specification, installation and testing processes. It addresses, in particular, the implications of the Wiring Regulations for Electrical Installations.
- Statutory and non-statutory requirements
- Electrical installation design, construction management and commissioning
- Characteristics of supply
- Protective devices and systems
- Principles for safety
- Selection and erection
- Single and poly-phase installations
- Special locations and installations
- Initial verification
5 Days in total split into a 3 Day and a 2 Day Block. Delegates will be expected to undertake study away from the training centre. Assessments are completed outside of this allocation.
- A design project carried out outside of the centre
- A written exam, dates set by City and Guilds.
Delegates attending this course must be 18 years of age or older. There are no formal entry requirements; however it is expected that delegates have successfully completed the following before registering for this course:
- 2382-10/20 Requirements for Electrical Installations or 2382-12 Requirements for Electrical Installations;
- 2391-10 Inspection and Testing of Electrical Installations, or 2394-01 Initial Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations and / or 2395-01 Periodic Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations
Delegates should also have industry experience as well as knowledge and understanding of electrical science and principles.
Each delegate will need to bring with them a copy of the current version of:
- Guidance Note 1, Selection and Erection
- Guidance Note 3, Inspection and Testing
- BS 7671:2008(2011)
published by the IET. The On-site Guide is considered unsuitable for this course as it considers electrical installations operating up to 100A with a single distribution board at the origin of supply.
Delegates are required to undertake a 3 hour, open book, written examination
Complete a design project